Global condemnation and outcry have greeted the alleged mysterious death of scores of African migrants within the border of Spain just as the leadership of the Journalist International Forum for Migration (JIFORM) calls for an international investigation into the incident.
In a Statement issued and signed by the JIFORM National President, Dr. Abayomi Ajibola in Lagos, Nigeria, the Forum described the incidence as a deliberate wickedness saying that the dead migrants and others on danger list as a result of injuries sustained, were mere victims of unfortunate situations and ought to have been treated with the absolute care in line with the global best practices.
Latest report says Eighteen Africans seeking to cross into Spain were killed and scores of migrants and police were injured in what Moroccan authorities called a stampede of people surging across Morocco’s border fence with the Spanish North African enclave of Melilla on Friday.
A total of 133 migrants breached the border between the Moroccan city of Nador and Melilla on Friday, the first such mass crossing since Spain and Morocco mended diplomatic relations last month.
A spokesperson for the Spanish government’s office in Melilla said about 2,000 people attempted to cross, but many were stopped by Spanish Civil Guard police and Moroccan forces on either side of the border fence.
Morocco’s Interior Ministry said in a statement that the casualties occurred when people tried to climb the iron fence. It said five migrants were killed and 76 injured, and 140 Moroccan security officers were injured.