Anambra records 80 rape cases during the COVID-19 Lockdown

kpakpandofm
Read Time:2 Minute, 29 Second
Anambra records 80 rape cases during COVID -19 lockdown

No fewer than 80 rape cases were recorded in various parts of Anambra State during the COVID-19 lockdown between April and May

The Director, Child Welfare Services in the State Ministry of Women’s Affairs, Children and Social Welfare, Mrs. Nkechi Anazodo, disclosed this on Monday at Isuaniocha in the Awka North Local Government Area of Anambra State .

Mrs Anazodo, who spoke during the United Nations Children’s Fund Supported Launch of Integrated Child Protection Community Sensitization Campaign, said there were only 32 cases of rape in her ministry before the lockdown.

She said the upsurge had necessitated the need for the 10- day state-wide campaign in the 21 local government areas of the state.

Other organizations involved in the campaign programme were the National Population Commission and the National Orientation Agency with presidents of the 181 town unions, the Churches, traditional institution and women groups participating.

She expressed worries that sexual violence has become the order of the day, where even old men rape children of about 12 years and below.

She observed that part of the problem is that people do not report rape cases

According to her, last week, a case was brought to them of a 70 year- old man that raped a four-year old child, adding that the case has gone to the police.

Mrs Anazodo pointed out that the most worrisome is that some fathers rape their daughters, and that in most cases, threaten to kill them if they report.

She regretted that many people do not report these cases because they feel that the victim might be stigmatized, which is why they are going round the 21 local government areas of the state to create awareness on the problem.

The Director, Child Welfare Services revealed that state government has created ‘Task Sexual Assault Centre’ at the Engwu-Ukwu General Hospital purposely for treating rape victims, adding that once any rape victim was brought to the centre, tests would be conducted on the victim because of the possibility that the child might have been infested with sexually transmitted diseases.

She stressed the need for such victims to be taken to the referral hospital within two hours of the rape for effective result, stating that treatment and counseling of victims are free and the identity of the victim usually well protected.

She further informed that once a rape is reported, they use police to arrest and prosecute the  culprit, urging  parents, Presidents-General of Town Unions, the clergy, youth organizations, and Non-Governmental Organisations to assist in educating the people on the best way to discourage rape.

Mrs Anazodo also explained that the Anambra State Child’s Right Implementation Committee had been positioned to handle, among other issues, child abuse of any form.

She said the child protection network in the ministry also ensured that if there was issue of torture of any child, they take it up and also ensure  prosecution.

RPT/Mike/Monic.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Mrs Ibezim calls for Mother's involvement in the lives of their children

Mrs Martha Ibezim, wife of  Archbishop Province of Niger, and Bishop of Awka diocese, Anglican Communion,  Most Reverend Alexander Ibezim, has urged mothers to rededicate themselves to better upbringing of their children and wards. Mrs Ibezim who was speaking in Awka, encouraged parents to be responsible for their children’s progress both […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting