
The Federal Government on Tuesday denied media reports that it has introduced or re-introduced new restrictions on COVID-19.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed made the rebuttal at a meeting with journalists in Lagos.
Mohammed said there were no new restrictions, adding that the Presidential Steering Committee on Covid-19 only reiterated existing regulations to control the spread of the disease.
The minister, a member of the steering committee, said the committee’s national incident manager Mukhtar Mohammed was quoted out of context during the briefing of the committee on Monday in Abuja.
He said the only thing that was newly introduced was that anyone, including Nigerians travelling from Brazil, Turkey or India, must go through compulsory quarantine.
He said that what they did was the need to remind people of the existing extant regulations on Covid-19.
He reiterated that Government has not introduced anything new as one can still travel by air or road or any other means but ensure you wear your face mask.
He also said they have not opened night clubs, the regulations on social distancing, social and religious gatherings, use of face mask are still in place.
The curfew between 12 a.m. and 4 a.m. is still on and government is saying people must obey the existing protocols.
The minister said the emphasis became imperative because Nigerians were taking things for granted and behaving as if COVID-19 had gone.
He said that India made the mistake when they actually boasted they had conquered Covid-19 and were holding political campaigns and religious festivals when a new variant of COVID -19 surfaced.
Sadly, India is recording more than 400,000 case per day and about 4,000 lives lost dailylì4
Mohammed said Nigeria had been fortunate not to record a high rate of infection that it would not have the health infrastructure to handle.