National Assembly suspends 774,000 Recruitment job exercise following face off with the Minister Of State for Labour, Festus Keyamo.

kpakpandofm
Read Time:1 Minute, 48 Second

The National Assembly on Wednesday announced the suspension of the Special Public Works programme under the National Directorate of Employment aimed at cushioning the effect of COVID-19 pandemic.

NASS dares Buhari, halts 774,000 jobs programme

President Muhammadu Buhari had approved the engagement of 774, 000 Nigerians under the scheme.

By the arrangement, 1, 000 Nigerians who would earn N20,000 each on monthly basis for three months are expected to be recruited in each of the 774 local government areas, of the country.

The programme was expected to take off in October, this year.

However, the nation’s parliament on Wednesday, said the programme has been suspended following the disagreement between it and the Minister of State for Employment, Labour and Productivity, Festus Keyamo, on Tuesday.

The spokesperson for the Senate, Ajibola Basiru, who announced the suspension of the programme at a press conference in Abuja, said the National Assembly has summoned the Minister in charge of the Ministry to appear before the federal legislature, to explain the recruitment modalities.

He pointed out that in view of the development, the implementation of the programme would be on hold pending proper briefing of the National Assembly by the Minister of Labour and Productivity.

It will be recalled that the federal lawmakers on Tuesday, walked out the Minister of State for Labour, Employment and Productivity, Festus Keyamo, following his refusal to apologise after the legislators accused him of raising his voice against them.

Keyamo who had appeared at an interactive session organized by the joint committee, opposed a resolution of the Joint Committee to resolve into a closed door session.

The Minister said he rejected the lawmakers decision to quiz him behind closed doors because of the need to ensure transparency and accountability.

Members of the joint panel had summoned the Minister and the Director General of the National Directorate of Employment, Mr. Nasiru Ladan Argungu, to brief them on steps so far taken to recruit 774, 000 across the country.

During the closed session which lasted for about two hours, the lawmakers expressed shock at the behaviour of Keyamo and his insurance that the National Assembly cannot direct him on what to do concerning the recruitment.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Igwe Chijioke Nwankwo has advised Nawfia Traders to Adhere to Government's COVID-19 Directives

The traditional ruler of Nawfia, Igwe Chijioke Nwankwo, has advised traders at the Afor Nawfia Market to adhere to government’s directives of putting on the face mask to help check the spread of COVID-19 or risk the closure of the market. Igwe Nwankwo was reacting to the threat by the […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting