NLC Denies Tinubu’s Claim On Minimum Wage
By Maryann Anaeto
Organized Labour has denied President Bola Tinubu’s claim, in his nationwide broadcast to mark Democracy Day, on June 12, that an agreement has been reached on new national minimum wage.
Tinubu had claimed that a consensus had been reached on the long-debated new minimum wage between the Federal Government and organized labour.
In his national broadcast to mark the 2024 Democracy Day in Abuja on Wednesday, Tinubu revealed that an executive bill will soon be sent to the National Assembly to formalize the new minimum wage agreement.
The President emphasized that his administration chose a democratic approach over dictatorship in addressing the demands of labour unions.
However, in a statement on Wednesday, the acting President of Nigeria Labour Congress, Prince Adewale Adeyanju, said there was no agreement reached by the Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage at the time negotiations ended on Friday, June 7, 2024.
Adeyanju stated that rather, two figures such as N250,000 from Organized Labour and N62,000 from the government and Organized Private Sector, were arrived at, and ought to have been submitted to the President.
The labour leader asserted that anything to the contrary was not only doctored but won’t be accepted by Labour.
The statement reads, “The NLC would have expected that the advisers of the President would have told him that we neither reached any agreement with the federal government and the employers on the base figure for a National Minimum Wage nor on its other components.
“Our demand still remains N250,000, (two hundred and fifty thousand Naira) only and we have not been given any compelling reasons to change this position which we consider a great concession by Nigerian workers during the tripartite negotiation process.
“We are therefore surprised at the submission of Mr. President over a supposed agreement. We believe that he may have been misled into believing that there was an agreement with the NLC and TUC. There was none and it is important that we let the President, Nigerians and other national stakeholders understand this immediately to avoid a mix-up in the ongoing conversation around the national minimum wage.”