Saudi Arabia launches air raids in Sanaa after deadly Aden blasts

kpakpandofm
Read Time:1 Minute, 42 Second

Saudi Arabia launches air raids in Sanaa after deadly Aden blasts

The air raids came overnight after at least 26 people were killed and dozens wounded in an attack on Aden airport.

The Saudi-UAE coalition fighting Houthi rebels in Yemen has reportedly carried out air raids in parts of the capital, Sanaa, hours after explosions struck the main airport in the southern city of Aden killing at least 26 people.

The coalition launched the air attacks overnight on Sanaa International Airport, and two Houthi sites in Rima Hamid in Sanhan district and Wadi Rjam in Bani Hashish district situated in southern Sanaa, according to Houthi-run Al Masirah TV.

António Guterres, the UN chief, has condemned the “deplorable” deadly attack on Aden airport, which came moments after a plane carrying members of a newly formed Saudi-backed unity cabinet landed.

Hours after the attack, a second explosion was heard around Aden’s Maasheq presidential palace where the cabinet members including Yemen’s Prime Minister Maeen Abdulmalik, as well as the Saudi ambassador to Yemen, Mohammed Said al-Jaber, had been taken to safety, residents and local media said.

Two International Committee of the Red Cross staff members were also killed in the attack and one was missing, ICRC said in a statement.

Prime Minister Abdulmalik said all members of the cabinet were “fine”. He dubbed the attacks as “treacherous” and “cowardly”.

The Saudi-led coalition later said it had downed an explosive-laden Houthi drone that was targeting the presidential palace.

The new unity cabinet pushed by Riyadh was aimed at uniting the internationally-backed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi with southern separatists (Southern Transitional Council or STC), who are backed by the UAE.

The two groups are the main Yemeni factions in a southern-based, Saudi-backed alliance fighting the Houthis who control the north, including the capital, Sanaa.

The Saudi-led coalition announced the new power-sharing cabinet this month after more than a year of intense Saudi mediation between the government and the separatists.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Man United striker Edinson Cavani hit with three-game ban and £100,000 fine for social media post

Manchester United striker Edinson Cavani has been handed a three-match ban by the Football Association for using a racial term in a social media post. The 33-year-old summer signing produced a match-winning display at Southampton on November 29, providing an assist for Bruno Fernandes before netting a brace in a […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting