Chairman/Chief Executive of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, Retired Brig. Gen. Mohammed Buba Marwa has cautioned that tougher times await
drug barons and cartels operating in Nigeria if they fail to back out of their criminal trade and embrace legitimate ventures.
He gave the assurance on Tuesday, September 27, 2022, while leading stakeholders to witness the crushing and setting ablaze 1.8 tons of cocaine recovered by the Agency from a warehouse in the Ikorodu area of Lagos last week.
The NDLEA had in a well-coordinated and intelligence-led operation that lasted two days last week stormed a hidden warehouse at 6 Olukunola street, Solebo estate Ikorodu where 1.8 tons of cocaine were recovered and five suspects including a Jamaican were arrested. Following the historical seizure, which is the largest in the Agency’s history, an order of the Federal High Court in Lagos was obtained for the public destruction of the consignment.
Speaking at the venue of the public destruction in the Badagry area of Lagos Tuesday, Gen. Marwa who was represented by the Agency’s Director, Prosecution and Legal Services, Deputy Commander General of Narcotics, DCGN Sunday Joseph, said the sheer volume of the drug haul, with street value put at over 194 billion naira, speaks volume about the extent of the nefarious activities of the drug underworld. He said this has made it imperative for Nigerians to continue to support NDLEA in the renewed war against illicit drugs.