The Inspector General of Police, Alkali Usman, has cautioned foreign countries against informing the public of possible terror attacks in Nigeria, saying that they should have directly informed the Police.
Inaugurating a police station and barracks in Ibusa, Oshimili North Local Government Area of Delta State on Saturday, Usman faulted the United States and United Kingdom over the dissemination of such information to the general public.
Recall that last week, the United States issued two advisories to citizens and embassy staff in Abuja, urging them to evacuate the capital over possible terror attacks and a number of other countries have done same.
This ignited panic in Abuja, the nation’s capital, as a number of businesses, including malls have shut down over the alert.
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari , the Armed Forces, The Nigerian Police as well as the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, have all assured Nigerians of their safety, saying their was no need for alarm and panic.
The IGP said it was wrong for them to enter the country and announce a security alert, without informing the police, but instead go around telling their people; not to go to Abuja.
He said the proper thing they would have done was to inform the police so they will find a way to tackle it, instead of taking it to the public.
The IGP reassured Nigerians that they are working in synergy with other security agencies to ensure the safety of residents.