FG Arrests, Detains Alleged Boko Haram Negotiator Mamu
The Federal Government has arraigned Kaduna-based Islamic scholar, Tukur Mohammed Mamu, for offences relating to violent attack on the Abuja-Kaduna train in which several persons were abducted.
Mamu, who has been in the custody of the Department of the State Service (DSS), since last year, was arraigned on Tuesday at the Federal High Court in Abuja, on a 10-count charge of terrorism.
He was docked before Justice Inyang Edem Ekwo.
In the charges, the Federal Government accused Mamu of aiding and abetting Boko Haram terrorism attacks against innocent Nigerians.
He was accused of collecting sums of money in various currencies on behalf of Boko Haram terrorists from the families of victims of the train attack, among other charges.
The accused was said to have collected $420,000 from the families of the attack victims and another N21 million from another set of families.
He was also accused of concealing the terrorism funds in his Kaduna residence in violation of provisions of the Terrorism Prevention, Prohibition Act.
However, when the charges where read to him in the open court
Mamu denied all if them.
The Federal Government asked for a date to commence his trial, but Mamu’s lawyer, Mohammed Ndanusa, moved a motion requesting bail for his client.
The lawyer told the court that his client was suffering certain ailments that required urgent surgical operation, but the Federal Government vehemently opposed the request, noting that medical doctors at the DSS hospital could treat all ailments claimed by the accused.
After taking arguments for and against the bail request, Justice Ekwo reserved ruling till a date that would be later communicated to the parties.
He ordered that Mamu remains in the custody of the DSS pending the ruling on the bail application.
Mamu, who was moved to the court by a retinue of armed security operatives, was taken away to the DSS custody immediately after the arraignment.