
The Comptroller General of the Federal Fire Service of Nigeria, Dr. Ibrahim Liman, has cautioned that the service will withdraw from any state where its personnel or equipment are attacked while performing its duty.
Liman made this known on Tuesday during a courtesy visit to Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu of Ondo state in Akure.
Liman, who said he was in Ondo with his men for a week-long retreat for fire service management officials, said the training would improve his team’s service delivery.
He explained that most people did not know that his men might have to drive 100 km at times to get to their destination, only to be attacked by angry mobs out of anger or “alleged sympathy”.
Liman said that the service had been boosted for better service delivery, adding that the staff strength of the service had moved from under 1,000 staff before 2015 to over 6,000.
He also talked about the acquisition of 141 trucks, while another 59 already purchased were to reach the country soon.
According to him, the response of his men to fire disasters had improved with the presence of the service in 13 zones and all the states of the federation.
On his part, Governor Akeredolu said the visit was an important one as the season changes from wet to dry one where issues of fire beckon.
Akeredolu, represented by his Deputy, Mr Lucky Aiyedatiwa, said he was enthusiastic about cordial relationships and the cooperation of the Federal Fire Service with the state arm of the agency.
“I cannot but note here that we’re very pleased to receive to the State a while ago a Fire Tanker, an Ambulance, and a Fire Truck from the Federal Fire Service.
“I cannot but note here that we’re very pleased to receive to the State a while ago a Fire Tanker, an Ambulance, and a Fire Truck from the Federal Fire Service.
“This’s no doubt very significant support and a boost from the federal agency.”