The Federal Government is seeking a stay of execution of the appeal court’s judgment that ordered the release of the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra, IPoB, Nnamdi Kanu.
The appellate court on Monday however reserved judgment in the application.
Justice Haruna Tsanami, who presided over the hearing of the application, announced that a date for delivery of judgment would be communicated to the parties when ready.
FG while arguing the application told the Court of Appeal that Kanu constituted a huge threat to national security and must be kept in detention to have relative peace.
The government also said that Kanu was a flight risk and would escape out of the country if the judgment which ordered his release was not stayed.
In a motion for stay of execution of the October 13 judgment delivered in favour of Kanu, the FG insisted that the Biafra nation agitator would throw the nation’s security into jeopardy and prejudice to the public and private economic activities.
The FG’s counsel, David Kaswe, while arguing the motion informed the appellate court that Kanu had earlier demonstrated to be flight risk when he jumped out of the country when granted bail in the terrorism charges against him at the Federal High Court in Abuja.
Kaswe insisted that it was in the interest of justice and the need to have relative peace in the South-East and the whole Nigeria that Kanu be made to remain in detention pending the resolution of an appeal already filed at the Supreme Court.
Contrary to the FG’s claim, Ozekhome said that it was only the release of his client that would ensure peace and tranquility not only in the South-East but the entire country.