Lebanon’s prime minister and entire government step down in the wake of Beirut blast

kpakpandofm
Read Time:1 Minute, 27 Second

Lebanon’s Prime Minister, Hassan Diab and his entire government have stepped down in the wake of last week’s Tuesday August 4 blast which decimated a large portion of the capital Beirut killing more than 160 people.

Lebanon's government resigns after Beirut blast | Daily Sabah

Lebanon was already suffering through a bad economic crisis, coupled with rising Coronavirus rates. The Lebanese government has been plagued by accusations of corruption and gross mismanagement.
The government has faced major criticism after it was revealed that the bomb blast was linked to a long forgotten stash of explosive chemicals stored at a port in Beirut.

The blast sparked days of violent protests as dozens of protesters hurled stones, fireworks and Molotov cocktails at security forces who responded with several rounds of tear gas, leading to the resignation of three cabinet ministers and seven members of parliament last week.

Lebanese government resigns after Beirut blast, public anger

Prime Minister Hassan Diab, addressing the nation on Monday Night in Beirut announced his resignation and that of his government calling the blast a “disaster beyond measure.”

In his speech, Diab berated Lebanon’s ruling political elite for growing an apparatus of corruption bigger than the state.
He said his government have fought valiantly and with dignity.

He compared the explosion to an earthquake that rocked the country, prompting his government to resign. He insisted that he has decided to stand with the people.

Diab, a self-styled reformer, became PM in December, two months after the previous government was brought down.

His government was supported by major political parties, including the Iran-backed political and militant group Hezbollah.

According to the World Bank, more than half of the country’s population is projected to become poor in 2020 as Lebanon’s currency has lost around 70% of its value since anti-government protests began last October.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Majek Fashek will be buried in New York, son says.

Majek Fashek’s first child with his ex-wife Rita has said that his father will be buried in New York. He made the announcement in a video shared on Monday. He thanked the musician’s fans and well-wishers for their love and support, and further revealed that they were forced to take […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting