The Nigerian Military authorities said they have concluded arrangements to prosecute over 886 radical fighters of the Boko Haram terrorist group as the counter-insurgency war has continued to yield very positive results in its renewed operations to wipe out terrorism in the country.
323 terrorists, who willingly gave up their arms to embrace peace, were undergoing the Federal Government’s programme on De-Radicalization, Demobilization and Rehabilitation (DDR) in Gombe State.
Theatre Commander, North-East Joint Operation, HADIN KAI, Major General Christopher Musa, who made this known on Tuesday in Maiduguri, Borno State, said over 82,237 terrorists and their family members have so far surrendered to troops in various locations in the North-East since July 2021.
Gen. Musa, who described the 886 detained Boko Haram terrorists as hardened, said arrangements have been concluded to transfer them to Giwa Project at Kainji in Niger State, for prosecution.
He also said a total 180 out of the 276 kidnapped Chibok school girls in 2014, have been rescued while 96 of the girls were still unaccounted for, adding that soldiers have so far rescued 2,018 abducted persons, comprising 339 adult males, 660 adult females and 1,019 children in the last one the year.