ENUGU state governor-elect, Mr Peter Mbah, has been accused of possessing a fake discharge certificate by the Director General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brig. Gen Yushau Ahmed.
The NYSC DG made this statement during an interview on Arise TV’s breakfast programme on Friday.
Mbah, who contested under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), emerged as the winner of the 2023 governorship election in Enugu.
He had earlier filed a N20 billion lawsuit against the NYSC, claiming he suffered injuries due to the controversies surrounding his certificate.
This controversy started in February 2023 when the NYSC, in response to an inquiry by a non-governmental organization, released a letter stating that the certificate presented to the Independent National Electoral Commission was not issued by them.
Meanwhile, during the Arise TV interview, the Brigadier-General Ahmed said that Mbah came to him and he called his director to confirm the certificate and they discovered that the certificate was fake and he told him.
Recall that in 2018, Adeosun, who was then Nigeria’s Minister of Finance, was accused of possessing a fake NYSC certificate. The controversy led to her resignation from office.
The NYSC had confirmed that the certificate was not issued by them, and investigations by the Nigerian media revealed that Adeosun had allegedly obtained a fake certificate to avoid the mandatory one-year NYSC service.
The case generated widespread public outrage and renewed calls for more scrutiny of public officials’ credentials.