
President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed grief over the killing of farmers on rice fields at Zabarmari, in Jere Local Government’s Area of Borno State.
He condemned the killing of hardworking farmers by terrorists in Borno State. The entire country is hurt by these senseless killings. He said his thoughts are with their families in this time of grief and prayed for the peaceful repose of their souls.
President Buhari also stated that the government had given all the needed support to the armed forces to take all necessary steps to protect the country’s population and its territory.
According to reports, at least 44 rice farmers were killed by suspected members of the Boko Haram while harvesting their crops on Saturday.
Zabarmari is a Borno community known for rice farming. According to reports, the farmers were attacked as they were working on a rice field at Garin Kwashebe.
The farmers were attacked on Saturday as residents of the state were voting to elect local government council officials, for the first time in 13 years.
Hassan Zabarmari, a former chairman of a rice farmers association in Borno State, confirmed the incident while saying it was a sad incident that took place at about 11 a.m today.
However, he said they have been receiving conflicting information on the casualty figures as some said it was up to 50 farmers that were slaughtered.
According to a source, the farmers were attacked because they had on Friday disarmed and arrested a Boko Haram gunman who had been tormenting them.