Red Sea Container Shipping Down 30% Over Attacks, IMF Says

kpakpandofm
Read Time:55 Second

Container shipping through the Red Sea has significantly decreased in the first week of 2024 compared to last year, with a drop of around one-third.

This decline comes as a result of Houthi attacks prompting shipping companies to avoid the Suez Canal. According to the International Monetary Fund, this has led to disruptions in maritime trade.

The cargo ship Rubymar, carrying Ukrainian grain, experienced such an incident. The vessel, which had departed from the United Arab Emirates en route to the Bulgarian port of Varna, was hit by two missiles, forcing its crew to abandon ship for safety.

Satellite images provided by Maxar Technologies, published by AFP, show fuel oil leaking from the vessel, raising concerns about potential environmental damage.

TankerTrackers warns that the sinking of the Rubymar could result in an environmental catastrophe in Yemeni territorial waters and the Red Sea.

These attacks come amidst a series of incidents since November, with the Houthis targeting ships associated with Israel in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden. The Houthis claim solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza as their motive for these actions.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Keyamo says that there is No plan to relocate firefighting equipment to Lagos.

The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, has denied claims that the ministry is planning to relocate a firefighting simulator from the Nigerian College of Technology, Zaria, Kaduna State, to Lagos State. This was contained in a statement dated March 3, 2023, by the minister’s Special Assistant on […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting