
The federal government has disclosed that the meeting with the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, will be reconvened on February 28, with the hope of getting the union to call off its one-month warning strike.
The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, gave the hint on Wednesday while briefing newsmen at the end of a marathon meeting between the government’s side and ASUU in Abuja.
The Minister said the ongoing warning strike was illegal because the demands of the union were already being addressed since last year.
He said the strike was a clear breach of the law, adding that the union did not go through the normal process before embarking on the industrial action.
The minister also noted that the meeting touched on all the five-point demands of the union and sorted out four of them with timelines for action.
He explained that the demands were not new areas, but issues already being addressed by the federal government.
The union had embarked on a nationwide warning strike on February 14 to press home its members’ demands.