Widow Accuses Police Officer Of N600,000 Extortion For Investigation

kpakpandofm
Read Time:3 Minute, 30 Second

Widow Accuses Police Officer Of N600,000 Extortion For Investigation

Officers were said to have demanded N610,000 from the widow for investigation… she paid the money’

A woman , Olabisi Ayinla, has accused police officers of the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID) Yaba, Lagos State, of collecting N610,000 from her.

According to the report, on August 27, Ayinla, a widow, hired a truck to convey 15,000 litres of diesel, worth over N10m, to one of her customers at Idera Bus Stop, Owode Onirin in the Ikorodu area of Lagos state.

However, the truck was allegedly hijacked by some armed men in military uniform at Anthony Bus Stop, along the Lagos-Ikorodu Expressway.

The woman, who supplies diesel and petrol products, said that the case was immediately reported at the Anthony Police Station, but was transferred to the SCID.

The officers were said to have demanded N610,000 from her for investigation and tracking, adding that she paid the money.

The widow, however, complained that the officers had not done anything about the case, but instead, were demanding for more money.

She said, “The truck was hijacked by some unknown military officers who ordered the driver to get down on the allegation that he was transporting diesel mixed with kerosene.

“The driver showed them the waybill of the product, but the officers ordered him to get down and not switch off the engine of the truck. They also seized the waybill.

“The driver and the motor boy were put into a blue Sienna vehicle and driven to Seven-Up Bus Stop, along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, where the officers dropped them, handing them their waybill. The driver and the motor boy rushed to the scene of the hijack, but on getting there, the fully-loaded truck was nowhere to be found.

“The vehicle was later found on that same day around 7am at the LASTMA office, Iponri, through independent tracking of the motor boy’s phone, which was in the truck.

“I found out that the product had already been discharged from the vehicle when I got to the LASTMA office.”

The widow noted that the truck driver and motor boy, however, recognised one of the LASTMA officials, identified simply as Kabiru, as the driver of the Sienna vehicle that conveyed them to Seven-Up Bus Stop.

Ayinla stated that the duo were, however, detained at the SCID.

“A female police officer, Blessing, and one Supol Malik asked them to shut up when they identified Kabiru. Till now, they have done nothing regarding the matter except demanding more money,” she added.

Our correspondent sighted a petition written by a rights organisation, the Relief Committee for Human Rights and Civic Engagements, regarding the woman’s complaints.

The petition, which was signed by the Committee National Chairman, Momoh Raimi, and addressed to the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, dated September 28, 2022, demanded an investigation into the ‘professional misconducts’ of the policemen.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer(PPRO) Benjamin Hundeyin, said he was not aware of the incident.

The LASTMA spokesperson, Taofik Adebayo, stated that neither the agency nor its officials were involved in the matter.

He said, “On that Saturday morning, a mini tanker was discovered to have been abandoned along Bode Thomas Road, off Funsho Williams, with plate number GGE558SJ. Upon discovery around 7am, we noticed that all the doors were left open, so we quickly drew the attention of the Iponri Police Station.

“At the station, two of their officers were sent down and they inspected the mini truck. After that, they said the vehicle needed to be towed from that place to their office at Iponri. However, due to lack of space at the station, the vehicle was towed to the LASTMA office at Iponri, at the instruction of the Iponri policemen. In the evening of the same day, the owner of the vehicle came and found it in our compound.

“The content of the truck had been emptied when we found it. The confessional statement of the driver was that the vehicle was hijacked. No LASTMA official was involved; the only persons involved were the towing vehicle personnel and the driver.”

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Anambra State Joint Enforcement Team Arrests Touts In Different Parts Of The State

Anambra State Joint Enforcement Team has swung into action to stop incessant revenue losses to the State Government. According to report,on Friday, September 30, 2022 the enforcement team moved into the three Senatorial districts of the state, Anambra South, Anambra North and Anambra Central to affirm the directives against touting, […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting