Afghan refugees protest delayed visas at US embassy in Madagascar.

kpakpandofm
Read Time:1 Minute, 19 Second

Now from the foreign Scene

A group of refugees from Afghanistan has gathered in front of the United States embassy in Madagascar’s capital, Antananarivo, calling for their cases to be expedited after years of waiting.

At least a dozen Afghans including both adults and children gathered on Monday outside the embassy premises, saying they had applied for the US Refugee Admissions Program in 2019, but were yet to receive any updates until two months ago, when they had interviews with a US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

They explained that after one month US embassy had promised to give them the result, they haven’t been given the result.

Those gathered said they had worked in support of either NATO forces or US and foreign companies and non-profits in Afghanistan, and as a result, faced Taliban retribution if they returned to their home country.

Bahar, a former IT manager at the Afghan central bank, told Press that he had previously worked with the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and his family had provided land and support to US-based NGO Morning Star in their home village of Jegdalek.

He fled to Madagascar in 2018 after his mother was killed in a Taliban attack.

Another woman who sat in front of the embassy, Bibi Maria, said she fled Afghanistan that same year with her four children after the Taliban killed her husband, who she said was a supplier for US and NATO troops.

Some of those gathered carried signs with Afghan flags that said “please merci [sic] on us” and “we want results”.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Anambra Govt To Extend Removal Of Illegal Structures Beyond Onitsha

Anambra Govt To Extend Removal Of Illegal Structures Beyond Onitsha Anambra State Government says it plans to extend removal of illegal structures defacing the environment and endangering lives beyond Onitsha in the coming weeks. This was part of decisions taken at the Anambra State Executive Council Meeting, held at Government […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting