Death Toll In Cross River Bikers Parade Carnival Disaster Rises To 8

kpakpandofm
Read Time:1 Minute, 45 Second

Death Toll In Cross River Bikers Parade Carnival Disaster Rises To 8

The death toll in the Calabar Carnival tragic incident has risen to eight.

The Bikers’ Parade Carnival, is an integral part of the Annual Calabar Carnival.

The Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Cross River State, Maikano Hassan, disclosed this in Calabar on Wednesday.

A tragic incident occurred during the Bikers’ Parade Carnival, on Tuesday, when a driver of a Camry car lost control and rammed into the crowd of spectators.

The incident occurred in front of the Jumat Mosque in Bogobiri.

Seven persons were said to have died on the spot, while 29 others were rushed to the Naval Hospital and the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital for medical attention.

The injured included: 21 male adults, three women, two male children and three female children.

The FRSC Sector Commander said that the additional casualty was one of the injured three female children.

“We went round the hospital where the injured were being treated to discover that one additional death had been recorded.

“We are also pleased to say that some of those injured in the incident had been discharged, while others were responding well to treatment,’’ he said.

The Tuesday incident, which had Governor Ben Ayade and other dignitaries in attendance, brought the day five activity of the carnival to an abrupt end.

The annual carnival, which started during the administration of former Governor Donald Duke, had not held in the last two years.

It was suspended in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, while no reason was given for its failure to hold in 2021.

“Meanwhile, Governor Ayade of Cross River State has commiserated with the families of those who lost their lives and promised to bring to book the driver of the vehicle who caused the accident.

The driver of the vehicle has been arrested and presently under police watch in an undisclosed health facility where he is receiving treatment for the injury he sustained in the crash.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Sule Balarabe, confirmed the arrest of the driver.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Imo Police Arrest Suspected Killer Of Gulak..

Imo Police Arrest Suspected Killer Of Gulak.. –Suspect Narrates How Victim Was Killed Imo State Police said they have arrested Mr Chinwendu Nwagwu, suspected leader of the gang that killed a former Pesidential Aide, Mr Ahmed Gulak. The Imo State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, CSP Michael Abattam, disclosed this […]

Subscribe US Now

Free Shoutcast HostingRadio Stream Hosting