On foreign News,
Hospital doctors in England on Friday launched their latest walkout as the government said their strike to demand a 35-percent pay increase served only to harm patients.
The four-day stoppage comes with health chiefs estimating that the repeated industrial action had cost the publicly funded health service £1 billion.
The British Medical Association (BMA) which represents junior doctors said that their take-home pay has fallen by 26 percent in the last 15 years.
Health Secretary Steve Barclay issued his strongest condemnation so far of the doctors who have rejected the government’s pay offer of six percent plus a one-off payment of £1,250.
Writing in the Daily Mail, he accused the BMA of acting recklessly and that
the strike action served only to harm patients and put further pressure on their own colleagues.
Doctors on the picket line outside University College Hospital in central London hospital, however, said they had no choice but to strike to restore pay levels and stop doctors leaving the state-funded National Health Service (NHS).